Friday 25 July 2014

Emotions and Makes.......



This week has been a tough one.

The last few days of term. Always so busy.

Baby Bear finished at his Infant School. If I am honest, I had been dreading that moment. I loved his school. I loved the staff. I loved the atmosphere. He has blossomed over the last three years there. As each day counted down over the last couple of weeks, I had noticed a knot in my tummy. Everything was crammed into the last couple of weeks of term, and I just wanted to relax....and savour his last couple of weeks there. I think, knowing he's my last baby, and he's growing up, it's marking an end of an era for both him and myself. I have felt heavy hearted this week......and a tad emotional. On his last day, I dropped him off, came home and had a little weep. Of course, Baby Bear thinks nothing of it. He likes his new school and all the children will be going to it also, so he doesn't lose any friends. I guess it's more about my feelings towards closing a chapter on my life forever. I don't do change well. It takes me quite a while to adjust. Once my little emotional blip was over, I was able to concentrate on other stuff.


At least there's the summer hols. I'm preparing myself mentally for mess everywhere. It's funny that the older Bear's are awake earlier when they are on their school holidays and always up before i'd ever need to wake them on a school day. On a school day, I have to holler several times, and often threaten them with a wet sponge if they continue to lay in bed. Middle Bear was making himself a lunch by 9.15. No kidding. I asked him why. His reply was that he had had his breakfast at 6.30, so it was reasonable to presume that lunch would be next. I asked if it was reasonable to presume that a second lunch would be taking place at midday? Of course was his reply (and looking at me like I was a complete muppet for asking). Geez, I'm going to be spending a FORTUNE on food these next 6 weeks. The eldest Bears have grown about a foot in the last 6 months. I don't think that has helped either. I suddenly feel old.........and REALLY short. By week three of the holidays I'll be ready to get the 6 hours back, so I can get the rooms looking decent again.

So, to take my mind off the end of a chapter in my life, I've been crafting little bits of this and little bits of that.

It's been ages since I had my paints out. I really enjoyed my crafty exploits.




Baby Bear and Middle Bear share a room, and my plan is to re-jig it in the holidays. Move furniture, splash a bit of paint about and make it look a bit more decent for them.

I had been thinking about a dark feature wall, and constellations. I have loved the 'Fur Neil' Moon Painting by Martin Krusche  here and was very tempted to get it to put above Baby Bear's bed......until I saw a fab crafty idea on pinterest which led me here. The Mommo Design blog is brilliant for ideas for kids rooms, with lots of Ikea hacks to make cheap and fun creative rooms. I thought this lamp was such a fab idea as I could kill two birds with one stone. Baby Bear needed a new bedside lamp, and this was just perfect. A lamp was bought from Ikea and away I went. I am pleased with the outcome for a first attempt. I just need to do the rest of the room now to be able to put it in, but Baby Bear likes it, so job done.



So this is my attempted version. 

This is how it looks in daylight above. It really just 
looks globe like.



This is how it looks when it's switched on. More moon like with the crater effect.



And here it is in the deepest and darkest of night.




Oh. My. Word. 





I LOVE IT




It will look fab by Baby Bear's bed. Trouble is, I'd quite like one for myself. It even could make a welcome home in my kitchen. Perhaps another trip to Ikea. Any excuse.




I also dressed up my bunny lamp. I've had this for a while. I think most are sold with a bit of colour, but I got this one from the White Company with some vouchers I had......and true to the White Company's ethos, the bunny was totally white. She needed a little bit of pink and brown to make her come alive and match her younger sister. So, whilst the paints were out, she got a little make over too. Nose and ears pinked up a little, and eyes browned. 'Hazel' looks much happier I have to say.




I also started another project with some gifted yarn. The joy of relatives. I am always willing to receive unwanted yarn from them. Not sure if I actually have enough to finish what I have started but I will give it a go. I haven't got around to getting more yarn for my project from my last post. Many thought it was a doily, it's actually a cushion cover. I have two rounds left to do on the first side then make a start on the back. It's from the 'Woman's Weekly' vintage collection, and it's a re-worked 1970's pattern. The pattern is available to download online from their patterns website if anyone is interested.


I finished off some pot holders that had been lounging in my unfinished pile for a while.











And I did a whole heap of starching, to give some body to my other ones...





That was a heap of fun. I felt very domesticated!




I baked this week too. Not for me. I'm trying to steer clear of bad food. My life is full of fruit, veg, water and green tea. 





Not the most appealing, I'm a sucker for sugar, but I am trying. I made some shortbread for Baby Bear, and Big Bear made some banana and blueberry mini muffins. 





All good stuff, and all eaten pretty much straight away. I'm not even sure any of the muffins got cold.



In truth I just wanted to stamp on cookies.


I also stumbled upon the most brilliant book. 






For a while I have pinned some great food ideas on Pinterest. I like picnics in the summer and love container food that is delicious and easy to transport. I found a couple of pins of desserts in mini mason jars, that can be made and transported easily in these individual jars for picnics. Mini cheesecakes were my favourite. Anyway, this book was all about the jar. I loved the thought of making something actually in the jar, cooking it, letting it cool down, twisting on a lid and shoving it in a picnic basket. If you cook with mason jars they are fine to bake with in the oven. How simple is that? Less washing up, quick and simple. This book has three chapters. Cooking all sorts of food in the jars for picnics and outings. Another one for actually making treats and putting them in the jars to give as tasty treats to friends and family. Then, my favourite one, layering dry ingredients to give as baking gifts to friends and family. Just layer ingredients, put on a lid, tie with some pretty ribbon and attach a pretty tag with recipe instructions (like in the picture). A lovely homemade idea and one I will be doing this coming christmas.




I am making the most from my hydrangeas this year too. They are on the turn now outside. They have given me a brilliant show this year. I really am a pants gardener, so anything surviving and producing some flower of beauty is always simply amazing to me.


On my trip to Ikea to get the moon lamp I picked up a few of these planters. A complete bargain in the sale. Some will be given away to family, but I'd like to do something crafty with the ones I keep. I'm liking lampshade ideas, but we shall see.




Apart from being emotional this week, I do love the holidays and am glad they are here. Gently waking up. Having longer breakfasts, and getting ready when I want. Taking time over my morning cuppa and even enjoying an early morning read. Can't be all bad.



I've washed and sorted china and loved looking at prints.














I do love Greengate. 

So....a big ride of a week.

I hope next week is a bit more relaxing.

Have a super duper weekend.

xxx















25 comments:

  1. How did you starch the pot holders? Sorry if that's a stupid question! Love your blog ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures! I love your blog too ;) How many wool did you use for the blanket (summer blanket) ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scrummy post, packed full of gorgeous makes as always Vanessa ♥ I love that you painted your bunny just to add that little extra something. My other half bought we a wooden dog for Christmas, and although he was totally gorgeous his collar just wasn't quite right - so out came the paint pot. Its so therapeutic isn't it ?
    Can I ask a question V about your starching ? I am hoping to do exactly that this weekend to a strip of daisy bunting that I have been making. I have just bought a spray ironing starch and was hoping that a quick spray of this without the need to iron would work. Is that what you did ?
    Keep enjoying your slightly less manic days,
    Kate x♥ x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not spray starch Kate that I used. I used something called Kershaws traditional laundry starch. It's great stuff for doilies. I wanted mine fairly stiff as they were going to be more on the wall than anything! X

      Delete
  4. You've had a very busy and productive week! It's great to settle down a bit into holiday mode. Enjoy it - before you know it they'll be back to school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good week! Time flies by while we never notice it, but little One will like the Juniors.
    Love the crockery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry that the week had a rocky start, but it sounds as though things have evened out a bit now. I hope that you have a great rest of the summer. Your lamp is wonderful, and I love the way that it changes when it is lit to show the moon effect!! Very clever indeed and two lamps for one really. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummy for the tummy those biccys and oh' adore the globe light for baby bears room, you are talented!...My daughters room was sooo messy yesterday i couldnt even open it to give her drink...i sighed at the state of the front room too...we dont have much room for her and my things as it is and when everythings on the floor we look like an episode of the hoarders program...We had my father staying from the east coast too...Walked to the station to wave him off and an almighty thunderstorm came we were soaked in our summer dresses. Its so mega hot today we have been so lazy...enjoy the holidays lovely vanessa and her (getting bigger) bears ;0)... Sophia moves up to the juniors part of the school~ i know exactly how you feel...*hugs* and *tissues* xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. An emotional roller coaster but the holidays will make you feel better. The lamp is a delight and those pot holders are just stunning. Enjoy the summer break.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Vanessa, I love your moon lamp! Such a clever idea! Your potholders look fabulous too.The stamped cookies look delish and I like the jar ideas, have seen lots on Pinterest, must have a closer look!
    I hope next week is less emotional for you. Although I think once you have children you never stop thinking about or worrying about them. My sons off to London tomorrow to see his sister for the weekend, I'm already thinkin, hope he doesn't lose his phone, his bag, get lost on the tube etc, and he's 20 next week!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the lamp and the pink planters. Can't wait to see what you do with them. Lovely colours in your home - and don't worry about all the mess - that's what makes it a proper home. That's always been my excuse anyway!! Enjoy the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the lamp. i have the same pink planters. your potholders are amazing. also your green gate dishes.....i love green gate,too.
    wish you a wonderful summertime,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the lamp ! It even looks like you've bought it like that - it is really great !

    ReplyDelete
  13. I struggle so much with the "lasts" as well. Next year my littlest boy will be at the end of KS1 too, although for him it won't be a huge change, it's a small school and the children don't really notice any difference when they move to the next stage. My eldest will leave to go to secondary school though, and I know I will find that SO hard. It really feels like the end of something, I honestly don't know how I'll cope with it. Lovely crochet and lovely gifted yarn, lucky you. Maybe when things get too tricky I'll try some crochet too. I hope you have a good weekend. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am taken aback that Infant School lasts THREE years now, in my day it was 2, and mine was a great place too. We had classrooms in huts! (Big huts mind you, not like beach hut size!!).
    I haven't popped over for ages and of course I look and kick myself for not looking daily, new post or not. One day, my home WILL have 'the essence of Vanessa'; your home is beautiful. And if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have fallen in love with Greengate, and my life would've been missing out on such joy!
    Yay, enjoy the 'hodilays' as I called them when I was at Infant School!
    Zxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, that's so sweet.....'essence of Vanessa'! X

      Delete
  15. Next year my eldest will leave Primary school....eeek how did that happen I am sure there will be lots of tears! Love all your makes, the stamped cookies are just lovely and the lamp...oh my! Enjoy the hols Sarah xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Vanessa!! I'd like to do the summer blanket, how many wool didi you use, approximately? I love your blg and it gives me a lots of ideas, thank you :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really loved reading every bit of your post x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am simply dribbling over your pictures. oh my oh my and sigh - gorgeous.
    and I know what you mean about the growing up of children. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. As ever a post full of inspiration. I LOVE what you've done with Baby Bears lamp ... awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post - I especially love your stamped cookies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a week, full of a mothers love, creativty, baking, colour, and time to rest and reflect. I enjoy reding your posts, and not just for the pretty photos but, for your honesty....not many blogs are that open and real. Thanks for sharing, makes me feel more real and as a mother also I can understand your sadness at little bear, all the bears growing up way too fast x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love, love, love the lamp! What a great idea - if only we had Ikea in South Africa... x

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is exactly how I felt when little Sweetpea left pre-school ...... I found it so hard and it send me into a spiral of sadness really :-( I miss her now she goes to bigger school still to be honest but I know it has to be. I hate change too, I help out at pre-school every now and again now just so I can go there again lol.

    ReplyDelete

❀ Thank you so much for leaving a comment. If you ask me a question, I will do my best to reply here in the comments section. Just pop back in a day or two and I hopefully will have replied. ❀