Monday 24 August 2015

The Easy Peasy 'Coco' Sweater....














One of my happiest makes for a while.

I bought a couple of balls of Drops Alpaca in a nice little yarn shop one day. I bought them with the vision of perhaps some nice little wrist warmers to take me into Autumn.

It was gorgeous yarn in a gorgeous colour. A greeny/grey/blue. Totally me, and totally scrummy.

I like drapey, slouchy and swingy, and have a Zara knit top that I like to wear.....a lot.

One day, I'm staring at this gorgeous yarn.......then my focus shifts to this Zara top that is next to it....and the light bulb moment happens. Why don't I make a slouchy, drapey sweater thingy from this gorgeous yarn, instead of some measely little wrist warmers. This yarn seemed too gorgeous to just be a pair of wrist warmers. It can't be hard I thought. I looked at the Zara top and it was basically two rectangles joined together with sleeves. How hard can that be?

So......in my usual, fly by the seat of my pants, hurridly rushed sort of way, I scribbled what I wanted to do, got some more yarn, and just crocheted, hoping for the best.













I had many a moment when I was really worried that it would turn out horribly wrong, and it would be a complete waste of effort. But once I started putting all the pieces together, I started to relax and realise it was going to turn out just as I had hoped it would.












I LOVE IT







It's just a dream to wear. Sloppy and comfy. Warm and cosy, yet light if that makes sense.

Anyway, I'm thinking, as I usually do, that a couple more would be lovely to add to my wardrobe.

I did spend a while wondering it it needed some sort of fancy edging or embellishment. I was quite taken with the idea of some teeny little roses right on the join there between the neck seam and the arm join, but I still haven't decided. I might make some detachable ones that I can just put on if I feel like sprucing it up a little. I also had some cross stitch rose patches that I quite fancied sewing on, but, again, I am undecided. Maybe if I make a couple more I will experiment. I do like the colour of this one and I like it plain. So who knows. I like having the option though. I decided against any edging or fancy border. I think I just quite liked it simple. But the great thing about this pattern is the possibility or adding loads or keeping it simple.








So, the easy peasy basics of this sweater. It's basically two rectangles made for the front and back. I used Drops Alpaca in shade 7120 (Light Greyish Green it is called). It really is gorgeous yarn to use. It's 4ply, but I used a 4mm hook to make it soft and drapey. I made a chain of 180 for each main rectangle. I'm a UK size 12 and this was perfect for me as I wanted it really loose and swingy. I'd say give or take 20 chains if you want to go up or down. I used 4 x 50g balls for each rectangle and went up in rows until I had used all the balls. That equated to 108 rows to be even on both rectangles.

For the sleeves, I made a foundation chain of 40 and used 1 x 50g ball for each sleeve. I did 90 rows for each sleeve (so a thin, long rectangle). I laid out both front and back panels (WSF and one above the other) and crocheted (using the remaining yarn) each sleeve panel to both sections of the rectangles. I then just closed up each sleeve seam remaining, and crocheted together to two sides remaining. I worked out how much of the neckline I wanted to crochet together. Just enough to give a drape off the shoulder, but not so much that it would be annoying and always falling down. It's really down to you. I just tested it with stitch markers until I felt it was right for me. I believe I crocheted in 81 stitches from each side to get it just how I wanted it.

The stitch I used, I really loved for this project, and think it worked really perfectly. I believe it is called the Seed Stitch. It is the crochet equivalent to the knitter's Moss Stitch, which is s stitch I TOTALLY love in knitting, and what I wanted to re-create in a crocheted garment. I looked it up and some people refer to it as Moss Stitch in crochet but to avoid confusion for myself, I call it Seed Stitch (it does actually look like little planted seeds in the ground). There are lots of tutorial for this stitch on the internet. It's simply 'DC, chain 1' (UK terms).

Well I love it. Really simple to make. Snug. Soft and it's like wearing a big warm hug. It's fine to wear with something light, but I'll be wearing it with layers underneath for the wintertime too.

I'm liking the idea of a big wide Drops Alpaca Scarf to add to it, just to increase the snuggly factor in the Autumn time for walking. Oooooooh yes, doesn't that sound scrummy? There is quite a nice selection of colours for this yarn too, which makes it even more appealing. It really was a dream to work with, and it's a dream to wear. 

Maybe not everyone's style or choice, but it's very 'Me' so I'm all smiles!

Apologies for the quality of the photos. The weather has been rubbish here, and I had to try and capture it on rare day when the sun was out, and I had one of the Bear's to take a few shots. A little out of focus, but you get the picture, so to speak!



As I said in my previous post, I shall be taking a little break. I have so much to do in the day to day, that I just need to focus and get it all done. Also, I'm really getting into the frame of mind that this little blog of mine has run its course. I often have these thoughts, but they disappear and I carry on. Lately, they have been hanging around a lot longer. I think perhaps the break might be a good idea to see if I come back refreshed, or if it's to say goodbye.

May all your days be beautiful

xxx

53 comments:

  1. This is lovely =)
    Unfortunately, I don't know anything about knitting :(
    But anyway, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think is crochet. She published a pic of the sweater half way and there was a crochet hook on the pic.

      Delete
    2. Yes Edith, Tibby is correct. It is a crocheted sweater. I used a stitch that is similar to a knitter's stitch I like (as I wanted a knitted effect rather than a typical crocheted effect for this). I am a terrible knitter!!!!!

      Delete
    3. OMG,I'm a knitter and crocheter and I also thought this is knitting! Great work! Ad color is beautiful!

      Delete
    4. Hi from the karoo,South Africa!love,love your sweater!I always enjoy reading your beautiful blog,I do hope you come back refreshed and ready to blog!

      Delete
  2. I love this so much and it was worth the wait to see it posted like this. I am inspired as this is so my style too. Thanks for sharing! Don't be gone too long please :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is truly a gorgeous sweater. What a lovely yarn to use for it and a scarf would be a perfect accessory. I love your blog and always look to see if there is a new post. I hope you have a lovely break, but do hope you come back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colour on that sweater and it looks very nice. I am impressed that you just made it after a bought sweater! So far all I have made are grannysquares but it would be fun to be able to make something else too.
    I do hope you decide to stay with blogging because I have just found your lovely blog but of course you need to do whatever feels best for YOU!
    Have a lovely time! Hope to see you here again....../Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe I've got no right to say that but I would miss your posts very much if you decided to stop blogging. You've got a talent in telling things and speaking about feelings With words, pictures and colours. Thank you, Simona

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my!! Your sweater is absolutely beautiful. I love everything about it...the colour, the softness, the shape. It's really perfect and looks so lovely on you. Thank you for sharing how you made it too. Enjoy your little break and hope to see you back blogging if that's what you decide to do.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks fabulous! I have been waiting to see the photos of your finished creation! Very snuggly. I really do hope you don't completely end your blog as (selfishly) I love having a glimpse at your lovely creations and the photos you take of the homeliness you create for your family. I started a blog a few years ago - inspired by a few that I read including yours but I just struggle to put anything on it! I hope the blog break may be what you need and your own space back after the summer break with children going back to school. Wishing you well, Vanessa. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh sweet Vanessa!! It's absolute gorgeous!!! Thanks so much for sharing the "little details". You are such a inspiration to me with all that you make. Your style and color choices are beautiful. I do hope after little your little break that it will be just a " little break" and not a goodbye. I can speak for all of us who come here really enjoy everything you make. It's so beautiful here. But...whatever decisions you make we will all respect. I do hope you will keep this space of yours open for us to always come back to and gaze upon or maybe post a picture or two from time to time. I would be most happy with just that!!
    Best to you....xx Shari

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I love it! and would love to get started on something like this!x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe I've got no right to say that but I would miss your posts very much if you decided to stop blogging. You 've got a talent in telling things and speaking about feelings With words, pictures and colours. Thank you, Simona

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty . . . and comfortable looking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, love, love, love this! Totally me too! I'm going to make one -thank you sooo much! Big Love xxBrenda

    ReplyDelete
  13. You certainly made a great decision to use that gloriously soft yarn for this top, rather than wrist warmers. Your creation is fabulous, simple and elegant. No trim required, the design is perfect just like this!

    Hmmm, About that break from blogging. I do hope that break will have all sorts of refreshing elements amidst the busy times. And...selfishly, also hope that you will be continuing to blog, even if the posts are sporadic.

    Best wishes. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your sweater is beautiful! Love the color. I would make one for myself if only I could.
    I am truly wishing you want stop blogging. I love everything you put on it. I am a little sad the days there is nothing there. I really would be sad if you stop. You have done such a wonderful job on your blog. Rest and please come back.
    CABWNANA1@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your sweater is just gorgeous, I have been waiting to see what it looked like! I do hope that you decide to return to your blog, I always enjoy your posts and your photographs.
    Enjoy your break
    Katie x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Please please pretty please, with sugar on top & a cherry don't close your blog. Most of us, your followers, love everything in it. Your knitting, your crochet, your kitchen pics...
    And as just said Charlotte, some of us look forward to your posts, even check for them every day.
    Thank you for sharing so far.
    Love fro Spain,
    Cristina

    ReplyDelete
  17. It turned out fabulous! Just may hook one up myself. Thanks for sharing, and I do hope you find your blogging mojo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Te ha quedado hermoso y delicados, saluditos

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been waiting to see what you made with that gorgeous yarn and stitch and you didn't disappoint! It's so pretty! It looks just divine on you. Now I'm curious to see if I can duplicate it. Thanks so much for sharing your method with us and all the other info too. I'll miss you on your break, but I know it's needed sometimes. Please come back soon! You are my very favorite blogger. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just have to say that this is totally lush, I love it, I want one, I'm gonna do it. Am loving your relaxed pattern details, yeah, just do this and then this et voila! My kind of patterning (my kind of cooking too but that's a whole other story)....just perfect Vanessa xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this blog! This sweater is perfect for me, love the color, style. I will commence to whip it up for myself, lol! Your images are always beautiful. Everyone needs a break to do what they need to do. I hope you continue blogging, you have a gift and it's been a joy to follow. Thanks for being you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, it's so pretty. When I looked at it at first, I thought it was knitting. But it's definately crocheting. I love it!! :-)

    Greetings,
    Emily
    (casacreaemilia.blogspot.nl)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your jumper is beautiful!!! It is a gorgeous colour and lovely yarn! Even better, it looks great on you!!! I hope that you enjoy your break and will return again to your blog as I love reading what you have to share and seeing your beautiful creations. Take care and enjoy yourself and if this is the last on your blog, it has been great reading. Thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful pattern. I'm going to make one for my mum's birthday as just just her style. I love the colour of yarn you used. X

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a gorgeous piece of crocheting! The color is lovely. Sometimes we need to change our routine in order to recharge ourselves. Enjoy your break from blogging and see what the future brings. Thanks for sharing and have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness what a beautiful sweater!! I love it, the colour, the stitch, everything, thank you for sharing. Like all the above very selfishly I will be so upset if you leave the land of blog!!!! I'm very new to this little land but I can't tell you how i've loved reading your blog. The colours, oh those colours, such beautiful photo's & you tell such lovely stories of your life. It must be so hard to run a house & a family & try & blog on top of all that. I don't know how you ladies do it, but you bring such inspiration to lots of people. I hope that after a little break you might feel you could blog a tinsy winsy bit!!! Good luck with the house renovatis & tOh my goodness what a beautiful sweater!! I love it, the colour, the
    stitch, everything, thank you for sharing. Like all the above very selfishly I will be so upset if you leave the land of blog!!!! I'm very new to this little land but I can't tell you how i've loved reading your blog. The colours, oh those colours, such beautiful photo's & you tell such lovely stories of your life. It must be so hard to run a house & a family & try & blog on top of all that. I don't know how you ladies do it, but you bring such inspiration to lots of people. I hope that after a little break you might feel you could blog a tinsy winsy bit!!! Good luck with the house renovatihank you for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's gorgeous as are all your makes Vanessa. I'm usually too shy to comment but want to tell you how much joy your blog posts provide! Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos and creations. ��

    ReplyDelete
  28. ma Pani tak pieknie rzeczy ze tylko ogladam z podziwem
    pozdrawiam z Polski

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautiful cosy jumper, Vanessa! I love it and I think it doesn't need any frills added to it. It is all about the simplicity and elegance of the yarn, colour and shape choices and the wearer (of course!) :-)
    It has a lovely "the White company" feel to it, which I love.....
    I hope you find the peace you need in your bloggy break and come back with renewed energy....all the best and thanks for sharing 💝
    Pati xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello Vanessa, I love your coco sweater! It looks so nice and soft to wear, and the colour is beautiful.. Thank you for the beautiful pictures and words you share on your blog, and for appreciating the little things in life that can make our days bright. I wish you happy days.

    Love from Ida, bloomingly.blogspot.no

    ReplyDelete
  31. love it's simplicity in everything!!!!
    xxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  32. The jumper is absolutely gorgeous. I really love it. So much so that I think I will have to make one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gorgeous , just like everything you make and photograph! I wish I had your talent and eye for detail. You'd be greatly missed if you decided to stop blogging. I'm another one of your followers who pops in regularly to see what's new and am never disappointed. Keeping my fingers crossed you decide to carry on. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's absolutely, staggeringly beautiful, all of it. I just love it.
    Please don't stop blogging, yours is one of my favourites. I'm hopeless at regular commenting since I went back to work but I often pop by and read and am always inspired by your imagination, creativity and gorgeous photography. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is absolutely beautiful, Vanessa! The colour, the stitch (which does look like knitting!) and the wonderful drapey shape all work so wonderfully! And you take such beautiful photos too :)
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautifully made... and oh so stylish. Do hope that you happily feel that you will continue to blog - you would be so missed!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love it...could I make something like that??? Maybe just give it a try like you did :o)
    Have nice blogbreak...but of course hope to read something soon again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh you are clever, it is gorgeous! I love the colour and the plainness of it. Thank you so much for sharing how to make it. Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Absolutely beautiful, the colour, shape, drape, overall smoochiness and simplicity is just divine......and so very, very YOU!
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  40. looks beautiful and that kind of end of summer into Autumn type knit when the days turn cooler...especially love the colour. I have been in that exact same thoughts about my blog you're not a lone my lovely V ...sometimes taking a break and stepping back and taking time out will help you see whats the right path/action to take. I always find your posts uplifting, inspiring and beautiful...You're always my sunshine xx

    ReplyDelete
  41. Its really, really beautiful Vanessa - I love it ! You're a very clever bean for sure, Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. Stunning Vanessa, clever lady. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  43. This maybe a have to do make. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh I love love your swing top and the colour is gorgeous. I hope you don't stop blogging as I really enjoy reading it. But enjoy your break and see you soon

    Love from Carole in Rossendale, Lancashire xx

    ReplyDelete
  45. hoping, hoping, hoping, with everything crossed, that you will come back here soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  46. It's so lovely! I cannot quite wrap my head around the idea of just making up the pattern yourself. It's like people who play music by ear. Some talents are just beyond my thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is beautiful Vanessa. Thank you fro sharing the pattern with us. Simplicity rules, I always say... Complicated is over rated. And for my liking - keep it just the way it is - nothing extra needed. Looks super cozy! Congratulations.
    Xxx
    Annette

    ReplyDelete

❀ Thank you so much for leaving a comment. If you ask me a question, I will do my best to reply here in the comments section. Just pop back in a day or two and I hopefully will have replied. ❀