Friday 15 October 2021

Summer 2021







 Goodness......and just like that, we have slowly sauntered into Autumn. How did that happen?


So, Summer 2021, we came out of the Lockdown and life began to resemble some sense of being sort of normal again. The days have just flown by. Blending one day into the next.....and before you know it, another month has been crossed off the calendar. I cannot say that I can look back over this summer and feel like I have really achieved anything though. I seem to be dabbling in even more procrastination these days. My house really has got to bursting point. Others in the household are still working from home with the decision for it to be a permanent arrangement. Offices have been cleared out which means housing a lot more at home. The decision was made to buy a garden home office to make this permanent situation workable. However, until things are all finalised, the house is full with people and work clutter. I have got used to the limited use of the house on my days off, and keeping the noise very low whilst people are on work calls. Headphones have been a godsend, because not being able to listen to music would have just sent me crazy. My whole life runs alongside one big film score.





I procrastinate, because I don't seem to get anywhere when I try at the moment. That sounds a bit pathetic I know. I am waiting...........waiting patiently to be able to get to 'full steam ahead' mode.































It is with this procrastination and lack of space, I have found it difficult to do anything in the way of crafting. I have been slowly working on my Beatrix Potter Blanket. It is almost there. Only took 9 months. It is all sewn up now and I just love how it turned out. I wanted a simplified vintage look. I think I've achieved it. The colours were just really leftovers from my last blanket, and I don't think I actually purchased much yarn apart from the mint colour way. They were just muted pastels and fitted perfectly with Beatrix Potters colour palette of her watercolour illustrations. 




























I can't say that I'm that confident of my sewing skills. Let's just say, I've told the Bears' (firmly) that it will solely be a chair throw or bed throw. It's definitely not a blanket that can take 6ft boy abuse! I don't know what on earth possessed me to sew up the hexies by hand with cotton thread. Really, cotton thread should be left to cotton fabric, and yarn should be used to sew yarny things. Non flexible with flexible was fine, but whether it will hold is to be seen. I guess my way of thinking was that I wanted seamless hexies sewn together. I know that there is a way to do it with yarn, but to be honest, I'm incredibly lazy, and because my hexies were quite small, I thought the yarn way was far too labourious than the thread way. Like I said, I don't think this blanket would withstand 6ft boy abuse, but it will be fine for me. The dog seems to have taken a shine to it. Seriously, she thinks that any blanket is especially for her. If I am chilly and I snuggle up in one, you can bet she'll hear the blanket rustle from the furthest part of the house and be straight up on me on it for a cuddle. I guess I should be pleased that someone loves my blankets as much as I do!







As soon as that blanket was ticked off the list, I thought I'd put down my blanket hook for a while. I bought a crochet sweater pattern. I find crochet garments a bit hit and miss. My plan was have a go. I find that I'm not terribly good at reading written patterns. I work better from charts. Written patterns always put me off. I have several crochet sweater patterns ready to make a start on, but I seem to put off doing them as much as I like them. So, I bought the pattern, bought the wool.......then saw a blanket idea that I loved and the sweater pattern suddenly got thrown down the list. I've just ordered the yarn and am looking forward to the cosy Autumnal evenings with candles, some spiced drink and a new hooky project. Look out for the next post to see the blankety progression. I don't seem to have that many photos of my Beatrix Potter Blanket. It was finished, and put at the end of my bed ready to take some pics and keep a record of my finished project, but it somehow just progressed to being a dog snuggler. I'm hoping that once my house gets opened up again, I'll be free to have the space to make and pick up my camera again.

















Late spring into early summer I really concentrated on my health. I wasn't happy with my fitness levels or my weight gain over lockdown last year. For a few months I worked really hard and was pleased that I'd reached half my goal. Then I went away on holiday and I enjoyed myself so things have been 'suspended'! I'm still trying to be sensible until I feel in the mindset to give it my all again, but I do feel happier and healthier than I did last year.


   





Bread is pretty much my downfall. I baked A LOT last year, hence the large weight gain. I haven't baked much bread this year, but floral foccacia is something I'm loving. It's so much fun to make.



I also bought a new cookbook, that had strawberry breakfast slices. It's from a cookbook with the word 'Comfort' in the title. Seriously, I should have left well alone. Super quick and easy to whip up. Basic puff pastry, mash some strawberries with either thick greek yoghurt or cream cheese and layer over the pastry. Layer thinly cut strawberries over the top, egg wash the sides and bake for 20 minutes until golden. For a pop of extra sweetness, I layer a thin veil of strawberry jam underneath the cream cheese mixture. Very moorish, so these are strictly Sunday morning baking if I have been good and not naughty during the week! 


Coffee is a staple too. Summer was for fresh, crisp coffee. I'm looking forward to the flavoured coffees now.


These past few days, I've woken up to darker mornings. Misty and crisp. We are on the cusp of the Autumn slumber. It's my mission to find my pumpkins to display around the house. 





As usual for this time of year, one of my most favourite things to do, is to go to TKMax and stock up on the Autumn candles. It's my favourite Autumn thing to do, fill the house with the gorgeous comforting aroma of spiced apple and pumpkin. 


I'm ready for warm knits on crisp days, falling leaves on sleepy trees and the beautiful scent of woody damp decay. Every season truly is a beauty.



XXX











16 comments:

  1. Your hexagon blanket is beautiful. I love the soft tones. Great flower photos and your cooking looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helloooo my friend ✨🌟⭐✨πŸ€—πŸ’•
    Such a joy to read your posts... You always have such a beautiful way with words... Its hard when you need a little place with calm and less chaos, I personally found it hard going during lock down for those reasons, stevie carried on at work, so nothing has come home, but when sophs was here with teenagers ways it did seem challenging at times... I used to shut myself in the bedroom for an hr to just be in a calming head space... Painting and walking helps my mental health greatly.
    Always so much beauty in our colour pallets of crocheted yarns & home decor... Your blog makes me feel cosy πŸ€—πŸ’•✨⭐✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lovely!

      I think I'm quite a solitary person. I do love, need and appreciate my own space to just gather my thoughts and silence the ever growing busy-ness in my head. It's hard going when you have no silence and space to do it. Everyone is different and their coping mechanisms differ, but the pandemic sure put a strain on pretty much every household in their own unique way. x

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the update on your life. I'm in the US except for a couple of things, just about the same here. It's as if I'm floating through my life or waiting for something around the corner. Baby steps through the pandemic. Your blanket is lovely and, in hindsight, you will always be glad you took the time to make it. I didn't succumb to the bread making thing, maybe someday. I'm not a skilled knitter but had anidea or a thought to knit a sweater in garter stitch. I guess I don't like the wasted time if it doesn'turn out like I had hoped. So, enough rambling from me, I was so glad to read the update on what's happening in your life. Be well and safe♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I feel with knitting. I'm so so slow with it, that I just detest the thought of wasting precious time on creating something that is awful and has to be ripped back. As much as I would love to progress at knitting, the ease and quickness of crochet keeps knitting at bay. : )

      Delete
  4. Hi Vanessa, it's so nice to hear from you !! I always look forward to your posts. Your blanket looks amazing and your dog is lovely. I hope you are doing really well and that soon you can get your house peace back and your projects flowing.
    Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am counting down the days to the house being a bit more user friendly! I seem to have lots of plans in my head for creative makes so feel excited to finally get on a creative roll! x

      Delete
  5. No wonder your creativity is stifled with all the extra bodies in the house all day - do hope the garden office solution works out for you all. Love your new blanket and looking forward to seeing the newest on your hook! Gorgeous pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving the new creation so much already! : )

      Delete
  6. What a lovely surprise Vanessa! Blogger had kindly or not minimised the number of blogs that I can view on my home page to 10! I have always used my blog roll to keep up-to-date with my blog friends and unfurled all the blogs I follow so I could see at a glance who posts. At present I am finding it difficult to remember that I need to click on the 10 at the end to see the rest of the Thumbnail images. I therefore have been missing out on seeing at a glance who has posted or who I haven't posted to, hence not replying sooner. Never mind though it has been an excellent read as always. Thank you for sharing the Strawberry breakfast slice recipe which sounds really straight forward to make and looks scrumptious. Got to try it :-). Your blanket is gorgeous! Lovely pastel tones! I think it must have been quite a chore sewing them altogether ... I am not so keen on sewing myself. I know that "waiting " mode you mention and in fact I have read on several blogs about the "waiting" syndrome. In our case in this household everything seems to be "when Covid goes away" plans. I feel as if I am a sort of limbo just waiting for .. ? Know this you are not alone" :-). Take care Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda,

      Blogger is being very hit and miss I am finding lately! I think so many can relate to that feeling of limbo. Lives have changed for so many over the last 18 months. I feel like I have been displaced. Life is the same, yet slightly moved top the side. Let's hope things even out for us all soon. x

      Delete
  7. What a stunning hexagon blanket. The colours are beautiful and I'm sure Ms Potter would approve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your hexagon blanket, funnily enough I've been thinking about making a hexagon blanket myself, thus has made my mind up! Thanks! I totally know where you are coming from with the peri menopause, its incredible how we don't all know more about it when we all have to go through it.
    I found you whilst bloghopping, would be lovely to see you over at mine at emeraldcottage.blogspot.com !
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely of you to stop by Jill! I adore hexagon blankets. There is just something so pleasing about them! xxx

      Delete

❀ Thank you so much for leaving a comment. If you ask me a question, I will do my best to reply here in the comments section. Just pop back in a day or two and I hopefully will have replied. ❀